1. Name of project: Enhancing market competitiveness of farmer groups in central Tanzania
2. Project goal:
The goal of this project is to increase the income of smallholder farmers by reducing transaction costs and building capacity in post-harvest handling
3. Specific objectives
The objectives of the projects are
· To upscale farmers and SACCOSs capacity to access markets through training
· To support and build the capacity of marketing associations in selected areas
· To support management of collective marketing and inventory credit system, such as WRS
· To facilitate association linkage with agro-dealers.
4. Geographical coverage;
Two regions dodoma (3 districts- Kongwa, Kondoa and Chemba)and Singida (2 districts- Iramba and Mkalama)
5. Number of associations:
6 SACCOSs and 6 farmer marketing associations.
6. Number of direct beneficiaries: 6,000 smallholder farmers
7. Focusing group: Members of SACCOS and marketing associations.
8. Duration of the project: 2 years, December, 2011 to November, 2013.
9. Source of funds: Alliance for a Green Revolution Africa (AGRA)